The City of Georgetown is located in Bear Lake County in the southeast corner of Idaho. Georgetown is a small farming community with the Bear River one one side and the mountains to the east.
Georgetown was an important oasis on the Oregon Trail with lush meadows and abundant water. The original name given to the area was Twin Creeks after two creeks which ran through the area down to the Bear River.
In October, 1870 Brigham Young, then President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) sent settlers to the area. In the spring of 1871 the townsite was surveyed and named Georgetown after George Q. Cannon, a prominent leader in the Mormon leadership.
Five families settled in the Georgetown family and began homesteading and farming. The first public building, a one room log house, was completed in the spring of 1872. This building served as a school, church, and a recreation center. The building today is the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer Museum.
With an abundant supply of timber and the lush meadows, Georgetown supplied the region with lumber from several sawmills and with milk and cheese from dairy farms and a cheese factory. The agricultural nature of the city is evident with large dairy operations on the outskirts of the city. Some logging activity continues, but the local sawmills have been closed for a number of years. Utah Power and Light operates a power station in the canyon to supply electrical power to the community and the surrounding area.
The area around Georgetown is rich with recreational opportunities. Fishing, hunting, hiking, dirt biking, four wheeling, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling activities are available in the canyons and mountains northeast of town. Georgetown Canyon is a very popular recreation area year around. Deer and elk are common in the mountains along with excellent fishing streams. The mountains to the east and north of Georgetown are rich in phosphate ore. Simplot conducts mining activities in one of the canyons above Georgetown.
The village of Georgetown was incorporated on April 14, 1908. In 1967 the State of Idaho changed the status to the City of Georgetown. The city is governed by a Mayor and four city council members. The city operates a city water system and a city sewer system. The city is zoned for residential, commercial, and agricultural activities. The City of Georgetown is proud of it’s heritage and looks forward to a bright future.